After

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:41 pm

You could call.
But haven’t.

I could call. But don’t.

We are balanced
in our weak excuses,

equidistant.

Though close enough
to hear each other's silence.
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
elotrooso
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:16 pm

Nicely done. Line lengths and breaks suit the balancing act. Would "balanced/on" suit better than balanced/in"? It's seems a more finely balanced state to me to be balanced on something, e.g. with apologies to Leonhard, like a human bird on a wire.
Crayon
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:33 pm

The narrator is making far too many assumptions about the 'other' for my liking.

Pfft, typical man/woman.
wisteria
glares mauve ~
sleepless dawn
bodkin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no
Location: Two inches behind my eyes just above the bridge of my nose.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Unfortunately my sentiments are similar to Crayon's...

I like how this is done, the craftsmanship is fine, it is just that the setting up of the scene is too commonplace. I get the impression that the two of them understand each other almost psychically, precisely because they are each boing/feeling the very most obvious things... so although it's well said, there's nothing really to grab me and pull me in.

Now there are of course good reasons for portraying the ordinary, and even for pointing out that it *is* ordinary... Could there be something much more interesting, or at least different in character, happening in the background to provide a contrast? A traffic accident, action movie, argument about glockenspiels?

Either that or make these explicitly not ordinary characters to be having the ordinary behaviour/emotions?

Ian
http://www.ianbadcoe.uk/
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:06 pm

Thanks, Crayon

Thanks, Elotrooso
elotrooso wrote:Nicely done. Line lengths and breaks suit the balancing act. Would "balanced/on" suit better than balanced/in"? It's seems a more finely balanced state to me to be balanced on something, e.g. with apologies to Leonhard, like a human bird on a wire.

I can see the appeal of balanced on...though I think what I had in mind was closer to be being balanced by...weak excuses on both sides of the balance, so to speak. Thanks for the focus on that.

Thanks, Ian

Psychic eh? Yes, now you mention it, I can see it may feel a little commonplace. Will try the glockenspiel solution.

Seth
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
RCJames
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:16 am

I like this play on an emotional stalemate Well done, R
Firebird

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:26 am

I agree with Crayon, too, I'm afraid.