paradox?

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
azathoth
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:15 am

How sweet the misery
the wretched world
turns and turns to me

through ancient maze
and well trod path
we walk as in a daze

free-will and fate
step hand in hand
myth their common trait

the world we know
the spiralling coil
a portion of the echo

what choice is left for us
when all we do
fulfills the secret purpose

How sweet the misery
the wretched world
turns and turns to me
GeeKay

Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:44 pm

Really enjoyed reading this one. The only bit that leaves me thinking unclearly is "myth their common trait". Are you just simply implying that the truth between free-will and pre-ordained fate is shrouded in a haze of confusement of half truths and passed on stories?
azathoth
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:10 pm

GeeKay your analysis of the "myth" statement is very nice. Your statement in regards to the confusion and mystery surrounding free will and fate is very accurate, and this poem even tries to say something very similar.
However, i'm afraid you've either given it too much credit or i've given it too much virtue, for the poem is meant to be satirical.
I was attempting to say that both free-will and fate were non-existant, that our entire life was governed not by some god-given freedom of choice, or an enviro-chemical predetermined set of reactions, but by a hideous repetition. Admittedly this is too subtle, and the poem should be more disturbing, but the goal was to say that everything repeats, we have no choice but to follow the paths long followed, a predestined goal yes, but more than that, a goal thats been reached over and over, forever throughout the existance of human thought.
so the myth statement was implying that free-will and fate were parts of the truth (much like some myths) but that they were inaccurate because while the illusion of free will traps us into the cycle, the illusion of fate deludes us as to our repetitious end.
Title of the poem is supposed to be "Deja Vu"

Moreover, this was meant to be satirical because i hoped that illustrating such nihilistic ideas (and exposing their idiocies) would be mockery enough.

Too much thought for such an inaddequate poem, I know. Thanks for the comment though GeeKay.
GeeKay

Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:35 pm

Excellent. Now with reading it with your insight, I find it really does subtly show what your trying to convey. Don't knock it down. It's certainly one to be proud of :)