it never does

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
Sandbanx
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:09 pm

Gathering acorns with
My daughter on the day after Christmas,
depriving squirrels.
I tell her cry, but
she chooses instead
To remember the great cheeses:
“chura kampo”, “rodoric”, rauchkäse”

Someone calls from the house and
we ignore.
Ignoring but not
ignorant.
Imperilled, we hear brakes squeal,
Do cheese wheels have disc brakes
she asks me
and I look to the fog
filled river.

Where dad chained me
to a tree
and said
Fish
So I did.

Is angst a real word she asks?
Only for poets…. a filler. I tell her.
Odd since angst rhymes with
not much at all.
and yet it (angst) appears often
while cheese,
a word made for rhyme,
languishes, forgotten.

Disoriented clouds gather,
suck away the sun
and fade to the distance,
Preparing for the long meal,
the subway won’t wait,
it never does.
And we will be late.
"Poetry's unnat'ral; no man ever talked poetry 'cept a beadle on boxin' day, or Warren's blackin' or Rowland's oil, or some o' them low fellows; never you let yourself down to talk poetry, my boy." C. Dickens
Susan-Morris3
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster
antispam: no

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:45 am

A lovely poem very much enjoyed reading it, gave a feeling of happiness until....," Where dad chained me to a tree and said fish so I did. " At that moment i had to stop and read again from the top, the mood changed and the poem became sad, with a hint of wonder why ? Because I have such a vivid imagination, I had all sorts of stories rushing about in my head. loved the way you did that, superb poem x :wink:
LeMinh88
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:34 am

Sandbanx wrote:Gathering acorns with
My daughter on the day after Christmas,
depriving squirrels. I don't really need this info; I rather stay with the father and daughter as the driving players of this piece
I tell her cry, but
she chooses instead
To remember the great cheeses: why is "To" capitalized?

Someone calls from the house and
we ignore.
Ignoring but not don't need this side note; it breaks the flow of the story
ignorant.
Imperilled, we hear brakes squeal,
Do cheese wheels have disc brakes why is this line not in quotation or italicized?
she asks me
and I look to the fog I'm lost here. The daughter asked and you "look to the fog filled river"?
filled river.

Where dad chained me Again, I'm lost here. Who chained whom? The daughter's chaining the dad? The dad's chaining the dad? Since it's the "me" or the narrator who is being chained.
to a tree
and said
Fish
So I did.

Is angst a real word she asks? Really like this stanza. Nice insight to the relationship of the father and daughter
Only for poets…. a filler. I tell her.
Odd since angst rhymes with
not much at all.
and yet it (angst) appears often
while cheese,
a word made for rhyme,
languishes, forgotten.

Disoriented clouds gather, does cloud know where it's going to be disoriented?
suck away the sun
and fade to the distance,
Preparing for the long meal,
the subway won’t wait,
it never does.
And we will be late.
Words love me long time.
John G
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
Location: London born and bred now resident of West Yorkshire

Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:35 pm

sort have an idea what this is about but was more intrested in some of the great lines and images,
she chooses instead
To remember the great cheeses:
have no idea if thsi has any relevance but like the apparent surreliasm of the cheeses and the question about the cheese wheels having breaks, something I can imagine my two coming out with.

In conclusion, liked it.
After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say 'I want to see the manager.
Sandbanx
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks for the comments. This is a tough one to explain, but came about in a strange way.

~~A friend had said there were never enough poems about cheese.

~~Same friend said there were too many poems about angst.

~~Last week, Garrison Keillor's newsletter (prairie home companion) included a poem which described a nice parent/child relationship but was rudely interrupted by a stanza wherin "grandmother tethered me to a fence" while said grandmother went off to work.

I was confused by that.

so....

Gathering acorns is a simple act

Doing simple things with a child can be the best thing one can do.

Ignoring (those who called, as the moment was not worthy of being interrupted) but not igorant (of the need to be attentive to child).

Ask a child to name cheese and likely you will get "cheddar'. But, we all know that children are capable of surprising us. So I went to the extreme (“chura kampo”, “rodoric”, rauchkäse”) to try to make that point .

Cheese wheels and disc brakes was another way of noting how a child's mind works at times. They are capable of making strange cnnections and catching you totally off guard.

I look to the river since I need time to think of the answer, but the river startles me and causes me to recall my own stern father and how he would perhaps not have spent the time collecting acorns and just talking to me.

Clouds gathering etc indicates the passing of time which is unimportant in these circumstances

"angst", ""cheese": again, kids ask the oddest things right out of the ether and cause us to realize that while we think we know the answers, sometimes we are forced to pause, and say to ourselves "No, THAT is a good question".

The subway reference and "we will be late" means that this experience is too important to rush and that we often hurry off to work (on the subway) without takingthose few extra minutes to speak in a meaningful way, with our children.

I have no real explanation for the lack of punctuation and the misplaced capitals etc, other than I was clearly too lazy and apologize.

This poem took ten minutes to write and was not intended to get much aof a response, so your comments are much appreciated.

Thank you
Last edited by Sandbanx on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Poetry's unnat'ral; no man ever talked poetry 'cept a beadle on boxin' day, or Warren's blackin' or Rowland's oil, or some o' them low fellows; never you let yourself down to talk poetry, my boy." C. Dickens
LeMinh88
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:39 pm

Sandbanx wrote: This is a tough one to explain, but came about in a strange way.

~~A friend had said there were never enough poems about cheese.

~~Same friend said there were too many poems about angst.

~~Last week, Garrison Keillors newsletter (prairie home companion) included a poem which described a nice parent/child relationship but was suddenly interrupted by a stanza wherin "grandmother tethered me to a fence" while said grandmother went off to work.

I was confused by that.

so....

Gathering acorns is Simple act

Doing simple things with a child can be the best thing one can do.

Ignoring (those who called as the moment was not worthy of being interrupted) but not igorant (of the need to be attentive to child).

Ask a child to name cheese and likely you will get "cheddar'. But, we all know that children are capable of surprising us. So I went to the extreme (“chura kampo”, “rodoric”, rauchkäse”) to try to make that point .

Cheese wheels and disc brakes was another way of noting how a child's mind works at times. They are capable of making strange cnnections and catching you off guard.

I look to the river since I need time to think of the answer, but I then recall my own stern father and how he would perhaps not have spent the time collecting acorns and just talking to me.

Clouds gathering etc indicates the passing of time which is unimportant in these circumstances

"angst", ""cheese": again, kids ask the oddest things right out of the eteher and cause us to realize that while we think we know the answers, sometimes we are forced to pause, and say to ourselves "THAT is a good question".

The subway reference and "we will be late" means that this experience is too important to rush ando that we often hurry off to work (on the subway) without taking a few extra minutes to speak in a meaningful way, with our children.

I have no real explanation for the lack of punctuation and the misplcaed capitals etc, other than I was clearly too lazy and apologize.

Thank you
Now the above is marvelous poem. I salute you sir, and I do mean it seriously. It never ceases me why people, and I include myself in this category, don't just simply write the truth. The truth always has its own music that always resonates. May I refer to Billy Collins. And please, note, the only change I made to the above poem is to take out your thank you lines, except for the last "thank you."
Words love me long time.