Corrosion (revised again)

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
Arian
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:54 pm

Good stuff, Ros - I particularly like the rhythm and flowing assonances of the last half of S2. They say a sign of a true artist is knowing when to stop - I'd say now was about right! Glad you stuck with the original title.
peter
Sharra
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:36 am

I like this better too Ros - good stuff :)
Sharra
xx
It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits
bodkin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Two inches behind my eyes just above the bridge of my nose.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:34 am

I still prefer "regression" as a title. I lends a specific meaning to the tense twisting in the second strophe...

but I also whole heartedly endorse the idea of knowing when to stop editing. Sometimes is is worth pushing the edits too far and then compare the overdone version with the original so you can carefully position yourself between the two...
http://www.ianbadcoe.uk/
Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:19 pm

Ros,
Just stopped back and see you have been busy with this one! Very nice. I like the final version very much.
Great job.

Suzanne
peterkiggin
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:52 pm

everyones a critic bar me.
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:37 pm

Ros,
I've been reluctant to comment on this , having read it several times, as it seems to be clicking for so many other readers. You have taken something of a risk with the temporal elements of the piece, which I applaud, but then the mention of love is so dreadfully leaden it kills the whole poem right there. And I know you are going to insist on how that line is absolutely essential to your intent, but I'm left feeling like I'm stood in a cathedral and the centrepiece is a fibre optic Christmas tree.

Sorry . . . .

B.

~
Ros

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:44 pm

Brian,
I hope it's flashing red, white and blue, very quickly, in a particularly garish fashion!
It's not essential - well, the meaning maybe, but not the way it's put. I've been wondering about it myself as it made me cringe a little when I rewrote it, which cannot be a good sign. So thanks for saying it.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.