Lilyism

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
dedalus
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:12 pm

I don't want to, really. Don't be an idiot, Ray ... How to Lose Friends Immediately: Write Comments On Their Poems! Why do you think I've been keeping my head down and moaning at length about crit requirements?

That said, let's have a go at ya ....

Lily wakes up prematurely --------------------- "early" ... why prematurely? indicates st that doesn't happen
make-up, lipstick, powder nose ............... commas help

Lily pads and prowls the lounge
pirouettes expensive toes ................... 'delightful', or 'her sexy'? -- why expensive?

Lily looks askance at laundry
socks and knickers decompose ............. right on!

Lily puts her records on
harmonising talent shows ...................... OK, just about: how about 'improving on the'

Lily practises her smile ......................... 'works upon'
wearing pantomimic clothes ................... 'wears a wardrobe full of clothes'

Lily taps and points her feet
at the apostolic rows ........................... nope! cut this stanza: apostolic?? Is she fucking a bishop?

Lily snaps her fingers and ........................ weak 'and'; Lily snaps her fingers, snap!
the lads adopt a slavish pose ................... 'boys' -- the lads are serious blokes

Lily disses little sister
scratches hisses bruised egos ................... this bit adds nothing; CUT!

Lily chats on MSN
emoticonic overdose ............................. 'emoticonic'?? -- 'toothy, gleaming' or some such

Lily is beside herself
third person singular she goes ................ yes, well, of course, as in "She". CUT

So now you're pissed. Slightly annoyed, anyway: what the fuck'd you expect? I told you I'd rather write bleedin poems and dodge the bricks and stones and eggs and cabbages people throw at me than do the same to others. I hate doing crits on other people's work!!! Anyway, this is what I think I would do if I were responsible for this poem. You asked, you got. There's a lot of good stuff you've got going there. I just wish you hadn't used my mother's nickname!

Slán anois,
Bren
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Oh Bren, you don't really think I'd be offended by that, do you? Those are just the kind of things we should be saying to each other. I'm much harder on myself than you are!
Anyway: "prematurely" for the rhythm, and rhythm is king.Lily doesn't speak in commas.
expensive is what her toes are. I've paid for these ballet lessons.
harmonies are what she does well, though thinking about it, maybe "harmonises talent shows" is better.

"works upon"her smile I like, and I'll put it in. she's been in a few pantomimes, hence the clothes.
apostolic in the sense of disciples, followers, she has a trail of lads in her wake when she gets back from school, but I'm not convinced by apostolic either.
I like snap! Yes! round here the boys are lads.
little sister would be upset if I cut her out of the poem.
everybody likes emoticonic except you!
The last couplet is a nod at Lily's habit of referring to herself in the third person e.g. Lily would like her dinner now. Lily wondered if she might have an advance on this week's pocket money...

So what's brought on this burst of activity, Brendan? Thanks for your time.

Best Wishes, Ray
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.
stuartryder
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:34 am

Heheh, and I was thinking Lily Allen... sorry!

Like the form, the couplets are very humorous and altogether it has a gentle but snappy feel. Nice.

Stuart
dedalus
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:45 am

So what's brought on this burst of activity, Brendan?
Guilt, pure and simple. I've been so remiss about posting comments. I fuckin hate it! At least you don't seem terminally cold and angry ... now let's have a look at the others.

Cheers, Bren
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:45 pm

Ah, Bren, so you're just being a good Catholic.

Stuart, thanks, yeah, I can see that Lily Allen would tick a few boxes.
Ros
antispam: no

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:41 pm

This is one for the IBPC

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:02 am

Ros wrote:This is one for the IBPC
It is, so it is. Too good for them, probably, but we shall see.
Elphin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:19 pm

I have to say Ray probably my favourite of yours to date - works in respect of both content and poetic form for me.

cheers

elph
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:34 am

Thank you Elphin and Ros and David. It was one of the easiest poems to write, almost wrote itself. Perhaps therein is a lesson.
Raine
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:31 pm

You wouldn’t believe how pleased I am to have inadvertently stumbled upon this gem. Being new to the forum sees me reluctant to point out fault. Here I can find none worthy of mention – which lets off the hook to a massive degree.
All aspects of language are tools of the poet; line-broken narrative serves an intent.
Take cliché, miss pelling and hyphen'd syllabics. Mould them with form and artistic intent. :-)
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:11 am

Ooh, Raine, what a nice thing to say. You can come again, thank you.