Red Lion Inn, Dunchurch - 5th November 1605

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:03 pm

Thanks all
Lake wrote:Is the word 'guy' originated from Guy Fawkes?
-

Guy - "fellow," 1847, originally Amer.Eng.; earlier (1836) "grotesquely or poorly dressed person," originally (1806) "effigy of Guy Fawkes," leader of the Gunpowder Plot to blow up British king and Parliament (Nov. 5, 1605), paraded through the streets by children on the anniversary of the conspiracy. The male proper name is from Fr., related to It. Guido, lit. "leader," of Gmc. origin.
bobvincent wrote:The evocative images show your talent, Barrie. You should apply it to something more important in your own life , which is relevant to other people's experience of life,
- Thanks Bob - So that's where I've been going wrong for 59 years - I'll give it a try.

Cheers everyone.

Barrie
After letting go of branches and walking through the ape gait, we managed to grasp what hands were really for......
Raisin
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:11 pm

I've just read this and liked it very much. It's kind of hard to avoid using the same types of metaphors in literature because you have to force yourself not to be influenced by other writers, especially on a historical topic like this, but I think you've managed to avoid any over-used one's and still write a great poem.

I loved the "ale stained table tops", very atmospheric, and just overall a lovely read, so thanks Barrie :)

Raisin
In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded. (Terry Pratchett on the Big Bang Theory)
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:45 pm

Thanks for commenting, Raisin - glad you enjoyed it.

Barrie
After letting go of branches and walking through the ape gait, we managed to grasp what hands were really for......