Guilty By Association

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
TarkovskyMirror

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:05 pm

To dwell upon omniscience,
Whilst dogged by earthly indolence
And framed by her defilement,
Which mocks our faery innocence.

To fall unto pursuit of love;
That beauty which evades our touch:
Tripartite blows of fate that much
Beguile our mind, and soul, and such.

To thwart the poet's destiny;
Compound the muse's misery:
The sordid throws of Mahler's wife
Seem etched; a woman's role in life.
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:03 pm

Tark-

Good to see you again.

I'll have to maul over that third stanza but I think I understand the poem. Alma Mahler is considered a very sinful person by you, I suppose? I agree that the arts have been plagued by more than a bit of sexism, but consider: Mrs. Mahler also has those who thought she was a kind of heroine - sacrificial love is quite poetic.

In terms of the structure of the poem, the archaic words make this one a bit harder to swallow. Sorry I am not a fan of them. How is something "dogged"? Who says "whilst" anymore? Why can't it be plain English? When Shakespeare used such words they were plain English.

Another thing I'm not sure about is the line "That beauty which evades our touch:" when speaking about love...it seems to me to be a line for rhyme, and a line that's been used before.

However, in my opinion "Tripartite blows of fate that much beguile our mind, and soul, and such" is a great line despite the backward order of the words.

See you around,
Caleb