best poem yet????

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
desiderata
Productive Poster
Productive Poster
antispam: no
Location: London, England (apparently there's one in california)

Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:18 am

that's really irritating. i don't want to be told what you think is the best poem on the forum. i don't suppose the author would be particularly comfortable with such a tag either. it's patronising, highly subjective and reminds me of being at school. can't we just read each other's work without having to attach a rating?
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:34 am

On the contrary, it raises my ego to unimaginable heights. I love it!

perhaps you meant " I don't want to be told what I should think is the best poem on the site" and I see why that would be highly annoying, but I'm sure it wasn't meant in that way, truly not just because it is my poem, I'm not that crass.

Seriously I'm glad that people appreciate my poetry, but I really am suprised that people do, and don't take "the best poem yet" as a tag or feel at all patronised, then again I don't take it seriously, I don't think Cameron would waste his time trying to patronise someone, have you read his critique?

And isn't all poetry subjective? (probably regret saying that)

That aside I see where you are coming from.
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:14 pm

"Heavy Alert!" as Rocky the Rooster says to Ginger in the wonderful Chicken Run.

Basically Desi the 'best poem so far' was a little bit of fun. It goes without saying that opinions about poetry are highly subjective.

At the risk of sounding pretentious (moi?) I'll leave you with a quote from Aristotle. (Hope you're impressed Arco?)

"Anyone can become angry - that is easy - but to be angry with the right person at the right time and for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not within everyone's power and that is not easy."

Cheers
Cam
Arcadian
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:59 am

Cameron aka Catallus (lol)

Ys i'am impressed ..but you would impress me even more if i heard you
recite Beowulf first canto from the original folio ....

cheers

Arco
desiderata
Productive Poster
Productive Poster
Location: London, England (apparently there's one in california)

Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:26 am

i'll do it