Life and Death - (two englynion)

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:02 pm

In life, it’s better not to live too hard,
Easy days, summer hot,
Beer mug full, food in the pot.
Grateful for the poor man’s lot.

Long in death enshrined, shrouded in the soil,
Root bound, with rot endowed,
To earth returned, insect ploughed,
All religions disavowed.
kozmikdave
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:08 pm

Gidday

These are very well worked out, Barrie.

In the first, the rhyming was simple but I wasn't sure about the word poor in the last line. Too comfortable to be poor perhaps.

Beer mug full, food in the pot.
Grateful for the poor man’s lot.

The rhyming in the second was more complex and had a better feel to it than the first. It had a more olde worlde feel to it - the sort of thing one might read on an epitaph.

Long in death enshrined, shrouded in the soil,
Root bound, with rot endowed,
To earth returned, insect ploughed,
All religions disavowed.

I found very little on this form of verse and it is very basic. Up until now I have only found one example in English, and really no information about the different parts or forms. So almost in your words, "But what's the 'cynghanedd'?" Is it in all forms of the englyn? (I don't even know what form I tried.) There is probably more detailed information somewhere. Perhaps I was just being lazy by not looking in enough places.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers
Dave

"And I'm lost, and I'm lost
I'm lost at the bottom of the world
I'm handcuffed to the bishop and the barbershop liar
I'm lost at the bottom of the world
"
[Tom]
Swing of the sea

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:23 pm

The first one is a bit too "Campaign for Real Ale" for me, but the second one is magic. Although the best phrase in it, in my view, isn't "Long in death enshrined" which to me sounds too "funeral parlour" or is it "stone mason"? The rest of it is perfect and very clever as well.

Cheers

DG
Jester
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:50 pm

Barrie

I don't give a tinkers whether it's a proper Englyn or not. It's a bloody good read. I can't make head nor tail of the descriptions of englyns I've found.......bet the Germans 'd find it easier. I'm still struggling with my next peculiar sonnet :? .

Mick
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:57 pm

What's all this Englyn business then?
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:14 am

Dave and DG - Interesting that you should mention epitaphs and funeral parlours - According to bardic researchers, the englyn forms were derived from the Latin inscriptions on tombstones - Maybe I'm getting there.

Mick - It's supposed to be impossible to write true englyn in English - I certainly wouldn't like to try writing one in German. The different forms of 'cynghanedd' (harmony) are interesting, they serve to complicate things nicely.

Kris - It was just something I (half-jokingly) suggested to Dave when I commented on his villanelle.

Thanks all

Barrie
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:19 pm

Both of these are wonderful, Barrie, but my personal favourite is the first.. slightly H E Bates, somehow. You inspired me to try one, though I wasn't completely sure of the rules..

Lia
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:16 am

Thanks Lia - Glad to see that you''ve had a go too. I'm glad Dave took me up on the englyn thing - since he wrote that first one we've had a flurry of activity - I'm surprised that Mick's not tried one, maybe he's working on it.
They are quite complicated when written properly - but that takes years to master. (So the Welsh say).
Maybe I'll work on a 'proper' one.

cheers

Barrie