The Cure

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
dogofdiogenes
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:20 pm

My life was in a million pieces;
the counselling was no fun.
But oh what traumas talking teases-
now my hell and I are one.

doneindog :mrgreen:
I never give explanations-Mary Poppins (Management in the NHS-rewritten by Nightingale F,. original by Hunt,.G)
du bois

Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:35 pm

An interesting piece. Just a thought on the transitions: from suggesting that the counselling was no fun you go on to add a caveat, 'but oh what traumas talking teases'. Now traumas for some might well be fun but for the majority I assume that they are not. I think that if you take on a sadistic line this could be brought out somewhat more specifically.

Having said all that the first line talks of 'life...in a million pieces' which could well suggest a certain derangement of, what some would consider, natural thought processes. Either way, a useful soundboard which is great.
David

Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:46 pm

Wow, jac, somehow this reminds me of the start of one of those classic Broadway songs - you know, the sort of spoken introduction that turns into Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered or something.

This sounds like Something from the Desk of One Who Knows - it's got inside knowledge written all over it, and it's very good, very pithy. I think your syntax goes a bit haywire in L3, but that may just be me.

Good stuff, but could be expanded, maybe?

Cheers

David
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:59 pm

I like this - I can't see why it should be, or how it could be expanded. I would say that everything's summed up in four lines. Sounds like the counsellor's done the opposite of divide and conquer - kicks the zen approach in touch too.

Again I disagree with David - I don't have a problem with the syntax in L3.

I do have a problem with the rhythm in L2 - the counselling was no fun

My life was in a million pieces;
counselling was never fun.
But oh what traumas talking teases-
- reads better (to my ears anyway).

nice one

Barrie
After letting go of branches and walking through the ape gait, we managed to grasp what hands were really for......
Elphin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:59 am

dog of d

Excellent - so much contained in so few lines. I really like the way the million pieces of the first line are internalised into one in the last. You certainly achieved instant understanding from this reader this time.

To the two points raised by David and barrie. There is something not quite right in the structure of l2 and l3 and I think barrie's right about the rhythm. How about

the counselling was never fun,
but oh what traumas talking teases,

There was a band called The Cure way back, as I recall their music was quite depressing - any reference intended?

Elphin
emuse
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:15 am

Dog it's all here and soooooooooooo true.
More's the pithy.

And the word's minds are placed on their sticky fingers.

e
dogofdiogenes
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:22 am

Dear Folks,

Thank you for that...no, nothing to do with the band..I have always found it ?funny that being 'cured' according to Our Glorious Service usually means an exacerbation of symptoms, a kind of turning inside out. And thank oyu for the comments on the middle lines-i reached the point where I couldn't see the wood for the trees. A common problem!!

needingdaylightdog :cry:
I never give explanations-Mary Poppins (Management in the NHS-rewritten by Nightingale F,. original by Hunt,.G)