British poetry mags

The world outside PG
David

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:12 pm

Yes, well done Ros.

And yes, I'm not sure about Dreamcatcher myself, but I don't think there's any doubt that The Rialto and The North are the business. If I could get something in to either of them I'd be well pleased.
Ros
antispam: no

Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:32 pm

I've just sent some to the North, but I'm not sure my style is theirs. We'll see.
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:02 am

Just come across this very interesting list of "Recommended Magazines" from pamphlet publishers HappenStance. Probably known to most of you, but still, interesting to see them listed together like this by a reputable publisher.

These are your targets people!

B.
calico
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:46 am

An ambitious list...I went to the launch of Salt Best British Poetry, which is a complilation of poems published in mags last year, and many of these popped up, ones I hadn't heard of like Seam and Staple. Also a really nice sounding one, 'Tears in the Fence' who have an elusive web presence. Anyone know/read it?
Ros

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:14 am

Don't know how up to date this list is... (Antiphon isn't on it, for a start!). I've seen this before. The standard of these varies quite a bit. I've not heard of Tears in the Fence.
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:25 am

Ros wrote: The standard of these varies quite a bit.
Well of course that's par for the course, and all part of the fun. In the past fortnight I've had rejections from 3 mags on the list, and acceptances from 2 - in one instance the same poem being rejected by one and accepted by another. Once a certain level of quality has been reached, the rest is down to opinion isn't it?
Ros

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Opinion and what they've got room for, I suppose.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:48 am

Here's a question for you UK postal submitters - when you enclose an SAE, what sort of stamp do you put on it? (Don't say a sticky one.) We, quaint creatures that we are, have different stamps and postal rates, so I don't know how much would be needed.
calico
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:33 pm

It's gold and it says 'Large'. That help? Actually I usually say I haven't enclosed an SAE as no need to return. Just shred 'em. (Idon't say that bit) But I mean it's not like we have just the one copy.
David

Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:38 pm

calico wrote:It's gold and it says 'Large'. That help? Actually I usually say I haven't enclosed an SAE as no need to return. Just shred 'em. (Idon't say that bit) But I mean it's not like we have just the one copy.
That do help. Good idea about not bothering with the SAE as well, as that means you don't get rejections. (Just long, depreciating silences.) But what if they like your poems - as why would they not? - but don't have an SAE with which to tell you? Email? I've never sent anything to The Rialto, because they got very snotty when I asked them if they'd at least say yea or nay by email. Nay, niver a chance, they said. Just buy some UK stamps. It was very strange.
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:44 pm

calico wrote:But I mean it's not like we have just the one copy.
Absolutely! The UK mags are so backwards in this regards. It's very frustrating for someone overseas. I can (at my most sympathetic) understand the reasons behind not wanting e-mail submissions (as stupid as that is, considering the availability of services like submishmash), but why some magazines still insist on IRCs from overseas submissions is beyond me. An email rejection/acceptance is quicker, cheaper and easier for all concerned. There really should be a review of this pathetic old-fashioned tradition.

B.
calico
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:19 pm

Oh. Oh. I just assumed if I included an email address they would reject or, ahem, accept me by email. But come to think of it............mostly silence. Maybe I shouldn't have shown blatant disregard for the rules and urged others to do likewise. Get some stamps David. Big gold ones. It must be very fiddly from overseas, some of the magazines do seem to say, postal for UK submissions, email acceptable for overseas.
David

Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:34 pm

And here's something else that's been puzzling me - the exclusion (or omission) of Orbis from the list of recommended poetry magazines. What's the thinking there, I wonder?
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:37 pm

David wrote:And here's something else that's been puzzling me - the exclusion (or omission) of Orbis from the list of recommended poetry magazines. What's the thinking there, I wonder?
Was wondering about that too . . . Are we mistaken about how well that particular rag is viewed?
Tim Love
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:41 pm

I think Orbis used to have an entry-level reputation. Also I think it used to explicitly favour submissions from subscribers. All that might have changed now, but it still isn't mentioned in anthos like Best British Poetry 2011, etc. The latter has 8 poems from Poetry London and 5 each from Iota, Magma and Rialto. Agenda and Smiths Knoll did ok too, plus a poem from Tears in the Fence. No poems from the TLS though. Or Acumen.
David

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:15 am

That's interesting. Thanks for that, Tim. I wasn't aware of the existence of such a thing as Best British Poetry 2011 until now.

Cheers

David
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Well, it's an interesting point yes, but in no way conclusive. That anthology is after all compiled by one individual (albeit a very respectable individual!), and the publisher (Salt) may have had some influence over the selections for their own reasons. That's pure speculation, but worth holding in mind. It does contain several poems from sources not on the HappenStance list, which suggests to me that that list is perhaps out of date? Of course, could be that the HappenStance editors read different publications than Mr Lumsden.
Definitely an interesting project though, and worth watching out for in future years. I wonder if it will turn out to be as influential as its US counterpart.

B.
Mercurygirl

Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:47 pm

It's really useful to have some advice about these publications, I'd just been trying to google this stuff myself and have been getting nowhere! Going to stay with a friend for the weekend so will get down to it when I get back! thanks for all the help!
Last edited by Mercurygirl on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:19 am

Just found another little trove of information. Most of it is common knowledge I suppose, but nice to have so many useful links grouped together. Not exclusive to Mags either - publishers, competitions, events etc. And all produced it seems by the mysterious Mr Tim Love! Let's hope he plans to fully engage with our little community here . . .

LitRefs

B.
Ros

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:30 am

I've seen this before, but think (I may be mis-remembering) that it was a bit out of date - obviously updated now, though, with both PG and Antiphon listed. Very useful.

Ros