Autumn Sky

The world outside PG
MilesTRanter
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:20 pm

Macavity

Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:15 pm

The editor's summary encapsulates my thought. Excellent and relevant.

Thank you for sharing Martin.
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:48 pm

That's an beautiful poem, and one which evokes a feeling of anger. Any poem that evokes feeling is successful, as that's the hardest thing to do.

I too get angry when trees are cut down for no reason. My current landlord, a Trump Republican, seems to have something against trees. He purchased the house not long before I moved into it. He not only cut down all three trees on the property, but he convinced a neighbor to cut down a huge, magnificent tree that looked to be fifty years old or more.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:26 pm

I concur with the chorus, this is fine work. It sings, which is always nice, and yes, it does evoke anger. You are quite right about the contrast between the time of growing and the time of destroying.

Cheers,
John
MilesTRanter
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:15 am

Many thanks, Phil, Caleb, and John!

Phil - Yes, the editor's comment is really good.

Caleb - I feel for those trees that your current landlord destroyed. I once lived in a place where, in the next yard over, a beautiful silver maple tree lost a large branch from the remnant tropical storm of a hurricane. So they later cut down the whole tree but, remarkably, seedlings were growing up from the stump! And the seedlings were growing into saplings with leaves and maple seeds. But every year, the maintenance man would cut all the seedlings away. I once asked him why he isn’t letting the tree grow back. He said he didn’t want to have lots of leaves in the yard to have to rake up!

John - Thanks for saying the poem sings. That’s really nice to hear.
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:45 am

Martin, I wrote my own poem about a lovely tree destroyed by bureaucrats. It's here on the Experienced forum ("The Wire and the Tree"). Because a wire was running through the leaves, they cut away most of the tree's canopy.

The three trees my landlord cut down were saplings that grew up at the edge of the property; they weren't planted, and they were leaning. But the tree on the neighbor's property was a huge, glorious tree. A tree-cutting company sent in a "tree doctor" who claimed the tree had wood rot, but it didn't. Why on earth anyone would trust a tree-cutting company to make such a determination, I don't know. "Yup, the tree has wood rot; we'll cut it down for $1,000."
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.