Sincerely, L Cohen

"Senor, Senor, do you know where we're headin'? Lincoln County Road or Armageddon?"
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:23 am

camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:05 pm

Ha ha,

Finest ending to a song, ever!

Sincerely, K.Thain
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:48 am

Best ending ever to one of the best songs ever, IMO.

I'd love to end a poem like that, but B Edwards doesn't sound nearly as good.

B.
Terreson

Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:13 pm

I've always associated this particular Cohen song with his sixties novel, "Beautiful Losers." And with a story about Cohen's wife from those years who, if the story is not apocryphal, killed herself.

"Yes and thanks for the trouble you took from her eyes. I thought it was there for good. So I never really tried."

Some years ago, while living on the north shore of the Olympic Peninsula, WA State, USA, I made a poem I call "Interstice(s)." The poem's epigraph is lifted from Cohen's song: "I hear you're living for nothing now. I hope you're keeping some kind of record."

Has anyone ever wondered why, starting with Judy Collins, so many high powered female vocalists have covered Cohen's songs? Including this one which the Canadian Jennifer Warnes took on in the eighties. Fascinating. What does it say about the death of a lady's man?

Terreson
Terreson

Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:27 am

Talk about synchronicity. I just chanced on this link. If you look very quickly, very quickly, in the first frame of this video you will see Cohen's Suzanne. She is the lady sitting to the left of him. They are in a nightclub.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/leona ... 3687354146

Terreson