Arcade Fire

"Senor, Senor, do you know where we're headin'? Lincoln County Road or Armageddon?"
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:49 am

MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm,

Heard great things about this group, having listened to their latest, Neon Bible I'd say OVERATED!

Not in the same class as Mercury Rev or Flamings Lips, to whom I'd relate them in terms of musical approach.

Then again, I'm basing this on a few listens, I can feel it has grower quality.

Echo and The Bunnymen are quoted as an influence, and you can certainly hear Old Macca's vocal strains in there, I'd say get the real thing:

SONGS TO LEARN & SING - A sort of Best Of, is a good place to start.
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:27 am

I too was sucked in by the hype, downloaded a couple of albums, utterly forgettable in my opinion. I thought Arcade Fire were a lot like Doves, almost like the twin band of Doves. Just a big overblown wash of atmospherics that doesn't go anywhere. I see what you mean with the Echo & Bunnymen comparison but as you say they're a class apart.
spencer_broughton
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:05 pm

Pfft, have either of you listened to Tunnels? Absolutely wonderful song.
Coyne

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Arcade Fire are great! Great music and great lyrics, most of the time.

I can't believe anyone thinks Doves are better :lol:

The vocals in Arcade Fire are sung with passion, whereas Doves sounds like they're bored. I don't understand why their better vocalist doesn't sing much either :? Doves are still good though!

Each to their own, I suppose.
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:56 am

Have you listened to Funeral, Kris? If you haven't, give it a few listens before you rule them out.

Spencer, I found this live version of Tunnels.. great stuff..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVMgSy3wKdQ

This is the first Arcade Fire song + video I saw, I think..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83AfXaBFN9A

Lia
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:21 pm

Lia,

I've definitely not ruled them out, comparatively they are a fine group, there are a few tracks that are outstanding, I just feel there are too many fillers to live up the hype.

I'll revisit Funeral though.
kozmikdave
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:01 am

Just got in on this one. I think they are one of the more over-hyped groups about. There was a time recently when they seemed to turn up in every conceivable magazine and although I agree that they are good, on one level, they tend to bore me pretty quickly. I haven't bothered with the latest album. I just think there is better being done around the traps that doesn't get the same amount of attention.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers
Dave

"And I'm lost, and I'm lost
I'm lost at the bottom of the world
I'm handcuffed to the bishop and the barbershop liar
I'm lost at the bottom of the world
"
[Tom]
beautifulloser
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:51 am

Hey Camus

I would HIGHLY reccomend you let your ears be drowned int he aural sensations of Funeral before you make your mind up.

As is often the case with bands, Neon Bible has come off the back of a ridiculous world tour and unlike the first album (Funeral) lacks depth in quality in comparison but is still a good album.

The timbre/texture in their music I have not heard is such a pure form anywhere else - obviously it is derived (what isn't?) but in a world of music mimicry they are a refreshing listen (in a similar weay to Klaxons) IMO.

Cheers

BL