Anglo Saxon epic

Any closet novelists, short story writers, script-writers or prose poets out there?
Skarp Hedin

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:59 pm

Hello there, I am in the process of writing a novel that blends poetry, history, medieval battle and of course entertaining prose.

My idea is scribbled down and includes a made up setting. I have made up a place in England called 'Caroden' (which will go back in time to mean Carrdún, the Old English for 'hill of rock'). There is a small community on this hill as it is very remote, similar to Tolkien's idea of the characters of hobbits. Rustic, stout and to themselves. Yet there is one individual who is a professor and very old who does not fit into society. He will end up telling a story to a few venterous kids that goes back in time to a dispute between two Saxon families that have to join forces against some band of Viking raiders. It will end in a huge battle (written in much detail) and, as both of the leaders of the families hate each other (to start with) they will grow in friendship up to the battle, one will die in the battle providing tragedy. The majority of the writing will be building up tension to the battle by short disputes that get resolved etc. I will try to bring in all types of themes; courtly love, tragedy, chivalry and honour, spiritual life in the saxon times and possibly an indication of the downfall of such qualities to now-a-day. It will finish with the professor sayiing 'I should know, I was there' and being one of my characters. Possibly bring in a curse there that was laid upon him to never die until the end of time so that the history will never be gone. He could be the leader of the raiders and this be his punishment. Each main character will carry a theme. There will be the heathen priests and semi-heroes that the reader will want to hear more about, minstrels to bring in the poetry and counsellors etc. Will this please the genral public do you think? After all, Narnia, Kingdom of Heaven, Troy, King Arthur and of course JRR Tolkien have appealed to the public....

Hedin