Different World.

Any closet novelists, short story writers, script-writers or prose poets out there?
Susan-Morris3
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster
antispam: no

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:19 pm

I was awake. Yet awake from what? I knew it wasn't sleep, suddenly becoming aware of running water, rushing down my neck and cascading of my toes.
"Whats going on I croaked Where am I ?"
The shadowy one didn't answer kept annoyingly repeating. " Edith you are awake the year is 3973,"
"I know I'm bloody well awake i said, What the hell are you talking about 3873 ? "
Like a clap of thunder it hit me. I remembered. Newspaper headlines, September 1969,Terminally ill Lancashire housewife's pools win. I'd had my body frozen till a cure could be found.
The shadowy one started to come into focus. A face only a mother could love, I thought.
" I'm Dakar." He said.
" Pleased to meet you love," I replied. " my names Edith Shuttlecock, and I will tell you summat else for nowt' I'M Back."
Now ! I thought, to finish my quest.
David

Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Prose always seems to get neglected here, Susan. I quite liked this, although it's tantalisingly short. Edith Shuttlecock (great name) has a quest?

It reminded me of Sleeper, the Woody Allen film. Have you seen that?

Cheers

David
Susan-Morris3
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster
antispam: no

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:08 pm

I must admit although I like Woody Allen, I haven't yet seen the sleeper but it is on my list, its just I keep forgetting about it, This short piece was written for a Daily Mail competition, you had to write the opening lines of a novel containing 150 words or less. Didn't win of course, but it was fun trying. more difficult than it seems, Hope you enjoyed your holiday x :wink:
David

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:09 pm

Susan-Morris3 wrote:Hope you enjoyed your holiday x :wink:
I did. Thank you! (Not long enough, though!)