The Republic Of Australia - Achievement via Indolence

Any closet novelists, short story writers, script-writers or prose poets out there?
Amadis
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:50 am

Today Australia became a Republic,
but no one noticed.

Of course all heard the news of The Queen passing, and there were tears shed, and many speeches of fond remembrances of Australia’s surrogate grandma from the other side of the earth.

Yet still, no one noticed the enormity of the prize that is within the grasp of the Australian Nation, should it be bold enough to take no action whatsoever.

For the Head of State of Australia is “HR Queen Elizabeth II”, it says it on all the Parliamentary documents.
The Governor General has sworn to do the bidding of “HR Queen Elizabeth II”, or in her absence, do what the Governor General thinks is best.

The High Court of Australia has the final say in all matters Legal,
unless “HR Queen Elizabeth II” should pipe up with some objection.

There will never more be any piping up from our Queen.

So Australians, let us not debate, let us not hold yet another Referendum on severing ties with our British Monarchy.

Let us just kick back with a few tinnies around the barbie, knowing that our unique talent for doing bugger all has born the inevitable fruit of achievement that it deserves.

Today Australia became an Independent Nation, just so long as we do bugger all,
and never update the stationary in Parliament house.

Queen Elizibeth II monarch of Australia in perpetuity.
Last edited by Amadis on Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
NotQuiteSure
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:40 pm

Hi Amadis.

Good to see you're having fun.

Something isn't quite working for me, and I wonder if it a Schrodinger's Republic sort of thing? Is it a Republic if nobody notices? Or is that kitty still alive and dead?

I think it might work better if you moved the opening paragraph. Start at

Of course all heard the momentous news of Her (Royal, Britannic?) Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II's passing, and there were tears shed, and many speeches of fond remembrance of Australia’s surrogate grandma from the other side of the earth.
(about that 'from', where's the 'to'?)

And with all the hullabaloo, with all the raising of glasses and lowering of flags, no one noticed the enormity of the prize that, out of the clear blue, is now within the grasp of the Australian Nation,
(if you're playing with names and titles, I don't think Australian Nation works.)
should it be bold enough to take no action whatsoever.

For today, under the weight of the funereal gloom, Australia became a Republic, and no one noticed.

It happened like this.

For the Head of State of Australia is “HR Queen Elizabeth II”, it says it on all the Parliamentary documents.
The Governor General has sworn to do the bidding of “HR Queen Elizabeth II”, or in her absence, do what the Governor General thinks is best.

The High Court of Australia has the final say in all matters Legal,
unless “HR Queen Elizabeth II” should pipe up with some objection.

(I'd like to see a bit more detail here, a bit more flesh on the bones. Lay out the argument step by step.)

So Australians, let us not debate, let us not hold yet another Referendum on severing ties with our British Queen.
(Is 'Queen' right here? Shouldn't it be Throne, or Monarchy?)

Let us just kick back
(bit of an Americanism?)
with a few tinnies around the barbie, knowing that our unique talent for doing bugger all has born the inevitable fruit of achievement that it deserves.

(Like the ending (a Queen in perpetuity) I just think you might wax a bit more lyrical about Aussie indolence and the rewards it reaps. Aren't you supposed to be the Lucky Country, after all?

Oh, and how does becoming a republic play with your official title, The Commonwealth of Australia?)

Regards, Not

Amadis
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:59 am

Yes, your suggestions would make for a more convincing speech.
You could write for The Australian Republic Movement.

As it is, I and it seems most other Australians just couldn't be arsed doing anything properly,
or anything much at all really.

Kchittt, here, have a Four-XXXX beer, Not.

Cheers.
NotQuiteSure
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:55 pm

Amadis wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:59 am
have a Four-XXXX beer, Not.
Been hearing all sorts of rumours about how that stuff is made Amadis, it's not encouraging at all. But, if you've got the energy, raise a glass of Felon's Crisp for me.

Not.