Who's reading what?

Was Albert Camus a better goalkeeper than George Orwell? Have your say here.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:40 pm

Ha, I can imagine your audacious entrance! Why not indeed. I'm a big Kafka fan, yet I've never read Metamorphosis, I must remedy that.
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:18 am

It's a great story! And the opening sentence sticks in the mind, like Orwell's "It was a bright cold day in April and the clcoks were striking thirteen."

Cheers,
John
Macavity

Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:43 am

Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. A tad too bleak for my tastes, but then it is a post-apocalyptic novel.
Macavity

Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:40 am

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Insightful, some poetry in the prose, though the narrative progresses at a snail's pace.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:54 am

They made a movie of it that's on Netflix.

Cheers,
John
Macavity

Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:25 am

The Satsuma Complex by Bob Mortimer. The narrative is familiar, but the writing is not. Occasionally amusing too.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:16 pm

The Satsuma Complex by Bob Mortimer.
Received that as a Chrimbo present, not got around to it yet. I do love Bob though.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:26 pm

Room to Dream by David Lynch and Kristine McKenna.

A hybrid biography. An interesting approach where McKenna writes a chapter then Lynch answers or corrects it in the next chapter, or at least that's how I'm reading it?

What lies beyond that white picket fence?
Macavity

Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:36 am

The Shadow King by Maaza Mengiste. Strange book, but gave me some insight on Ethiopia.
ton321
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:24 am

These Silent Mansions by Jean Sprakland. Who knew that graves could be so interesting?
Tony
Counting the beats,
Counting the slow heart beats,
The bleeding to death of time in slow heart beats,
Wakeful they lie.

Robert Graves
Macavity

Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:23 am

Mouth of Birds by Samanta Schweblin. Some super weird stories that leave the reader dangling from a hook.
Macavity

Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:23 am

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Predictable territory on totalitarianism, control and identity and survival, but I enjoyed the writing style (particularly imaginative description of flowers!) I don't watch much TV so haven't seen the televised version.
Macavity

Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:44 am

The hundred-year-old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

Some positive vibes, amusing in a dry way, with an engaging narrative that page turns. A spectrum of soft-heartedness, sometimes a bit too much Forest Gump sentiment, to a darker satire (the nuclear weapon thread I don't find amusing given the reality). The book is a translation from Swedish, but the translator has delivered an engaging laid-back style.

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

I was lent this book, started reading and realized I read before (if I kindle read then I tend not to remember author/title). The book was worth a revisit, sort of, though the intentional agenda to be life-positive gets laboured at times. The device of visiting parallel lives in parallel universes made the read episodic, but did nudge this reader to 'what if' in the world of action/consequences.

A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee

One of my favourite genres is detective fiction set in historical times. This one was set in 1919 India, very much a narrative filtered through a colonial perspective, but did deliver a sense of time and place (which I feel the writer was more interested in rather than the crime plot). Indeed, wasn't convinced the writer had a grasp of the crime genre or policing procedure, the concluding chapters on who done what felt rushed, but I feel his real interest was to learn about the colonial past. I think the author did give some insight on the corruption and prejudices of Empire

A Country Doctor by Franz Kafka .

Most scary read during July.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:02 am

A Country Doctor by Franz Kafka
One for the list.

Cheers
Kris
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:07 am

Finally finished 'Blood Meridian'

It was a trial in many ways, but ultimately rewarding, I think?

I'm going to continue my exploration of the classics with probably the ultimate classic - Moby Dick.

Had anyone actually read this novel, moreover finished it?
Macavity

Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:28 am

Read the book a long time ago, but don't remember much. Revisited last weekend before visitors arrived to fill my days for this week. Enjoyed the first fifty pages, Ishmael's self-justifications and his interactions with Queequeg. Will read some more this weekend. Vaguely remember that some of the book gets slowed down by details on whaling, but I'll skim those if they prove boring.
Macavity

Fri Aug 23, 2024 7:16 pm

Diverted this week from Moby Dick. Ended up reading 'All The Pretty Horses' by Cormac McCarthy. Enjoyed the reticence, a nod to those who are honest enough not to articulate justifications for their compulsions. Narrative doesn't dawdle or digress.
Macavity

Wed Oct 02, 2024 1:02 pm

'Finished' Moby Dick. I found it far too digressive from the main narrative and skimmed most of those digressions. I guess I have zero empathy for those involved in killing whales.

Just finished 'We Begin At The End' by Chris Whitaker. I can recommend this one with prose similar to Cormac McCarthy and the fact some of the story is set in Montana. It has flaws, not buying into such an insightful teenager, but I took my time with the read because I didn't want to miss any of those insights.
Jim
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:20 pm

Hi Phil, I tried to read Moby Dick years ago but couldn't get past all the digressions and gave up on it. I think I like Melville's stories and poems better than his novels.

The Maldive Shark

About the Shark, phlegmatical one,
Pale sot of the Maldive sea,
The sleek little pilot-fish, azure and slim,
How alert in attendance be.
From his saw-pit of mouth, from his charnel of maw
They have nothing of harm to dread,
But liquidly glide on his ghastly flank
Or before his Gorgonian head;
Or lurk in the port of serrated teeth
In white triple tiers of glittering gates,
And there find a haven when peril’s abroad,
An asylum in jaws of the Fates!
They are friends; and friendly they guide him to prey,
Yet never partake of the treat—
Eyes and brains to the dotard lethargic and dull,
Pale ravener of horrible meat.

Herman Melville

Reminds me of Lewis Carroll.

Jim
Macavity

Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:55 am

Thanks for sharing Jim. Enjoyable poem, I particularly like the 'pale ravener' and ' charnel of maw'.He definitely had a sense of humour, the relationship between Ishmael and Queequeg in the opening of Moby Dick is proof. I'll add the short stories to my next reading batch (I have a few books to finish first, including a revisit to one of my favourites, 'Bleak House'.
Macavity

Wed Oct 23, 2024 8:13 am

Babel by R.F.Kuang
Customers find the book thought-provoking, intellectual, and beautiful. They describe it as stunning, imaginative, and riveting. However, some find the story boring, underwhelming, and silly. They also mention the pacing is slow and the story telling feels clunky. Opinions are mixed on the plot, writing style, and character development.

AI-generated from the text of customer reviews
A balanced viewpoint!

I found some of the devices used, such as an exploration of word origin and the challenges of translation, a real hook. The 'black and white' characterization was ludicrous, all the 'white' skin villains were one-dimensional. The central theme of colonization and exploitation was simplistic. Perhaps it was aimed at the teenage fiction market. However, it is a book that provokes thought, despite the lack of nuance.