Johnny Cash - Hurt

"Senor, Senor, do you know where we're headin'? Lincoln County Road or Armageddon?"
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin
antispam: no

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:58 am

This song is an absolute killer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na-lIw8kxEU

Was playing bridge last night and enjoying: Radiohead, The Black Keys, My Chemical Romance, some Kozmikdave, Robert Johnson (Dead Shrimp Blues) - but JC soared above.

C
thoke
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:30 pm

Do you know it's a Nine Inch Nails song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgSWRicWIy4

It annoys me that everyone loves the Johnny Cash cover now and nobody knows who wrote it. I think both versions sound about as good as each other. But, like, Nine Inch Nails actually wrote the song. Johnny Cash was just told to sing it. And he changed the line "crown of s**t" to "crown of thorns", which is a bit rubbish.

I guess it doesn't matter. None of the middle aged people who love the JC version will ever like the original, because it's too noisy and teenagerish. Grr.
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:41 pm

Well, stap me vitals! I can't listen to it now cos I'm at work and have no speakers - but I will when I get home.

ta
C
thoke
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:48 pm

Spread the word! Tell all your bridge mates it was written by a goth!
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:09 pm

Indeed who will Rick Rubin resurrect next?

He did a job on Neil Diamond, a stripped down album, some songs are ok, but slightly dissapointing.
thoke
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:27 pm

camus wrote:Indeed who will Rick Rubin resurrect next?

He did a job on Neil Diamond, a stripped down album, some songs are ok, but slightly dissapointing.
Heard this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ONvi5SFR8I

'sgreat! :D
kozmikdave
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:03 pm

Come on Thoke,

you don't give us oldies a chance with that kinda talk. I happen to love both versions of the song and after seeing JC do his version, went out and bought the NIN version which is definitely better, IMO. However, I don't think you give JC much credit. He was someone who couldn't be told what to sing and it is a credit to him that he found the song and presented it in a way acceptable to his adoring fans most of whom would never have even heard of NIN. He was a believing Christian and told the story on his terms. He would also have had NIN permission to change the lyrics

BTW, my first introduction to NIN was far from glorious, and it was only JC that got me listening to them again with an open mind.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers
Dave

"And I'm lost, and I'm lost
I'm lost at the bottom of the world
I'm handcuffed to the bishop and the barbershop liar
I'm lost at the bottom of the world
"
[Tom]
thoke
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:35 pm

kozmikdave wrote:He was someone who couldn't be told what to sing and it is a credit to him that he found the song and presented it in a way acceptable to his adoring fans most of whom would never have even heard of NIN. He was a believing Christian and told the story on his terms. He would also have had NIN permission to change the lyrics.
Rick Rubin found the song for him. It's a bit insulting to cover a song written by someone who is strongly against Christianity and change the lyrics so that they contain Christian imagery, isn't it? I suppose you're right though, he will have got permission.
BTW, my first introduction to NIN was far from glorious, and it was only JC that got me listening to them again with an open mind.
Yeah, they're not that good really. I don't actually listen to them anymore. They're for spotty teenagers.

Don't get me wrong... I like Johnny Cash, and I like the cover. Basically, I'm just bitter for no reason. For some reason it annoys me that my Dad thought the cover was amazing, and that people say "'Hurt' by Johnny Cash" instead of "that nine Inch Nails cover by Johnny Cash". E.g. Jarvis Cocker.
(my) boastful! murmur?

Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:34 pm

i love this song, its so beautiful, i think johny cash is fantastic.

i am also a NIN fan, and i must admit, i prefer cashes version of the song. and im what some people class as a goth!