Joseph of arrhythmia

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
David

Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:24 am

Jumping Joe, or Jolting Joe, they called him.
He couldn't sing,
and he certainly couldn't dance,
but he had something -
unorthodox
and uncoordinated.
After many slightly jerky
years on the road,
he came at last to Glastonbury,
and that was it.

Sometimes you do something just for the title.
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Standing by a short pier, looking for a long run-up

Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:52 am

David,

Most amusing - but it needs a stronger ending IMHO

Geoff
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:36 am

Jumping Joe, or Jolting Joe, they called him. - Maybe you should choose one name -

Jolting Joe, they called him - (Jittering Joe?)

Why not leave out the last line and end on -

After many slightly jerky
years on the road,
he came at last to Glastonbury.

Pity you couldn't get a thorn in somewhere.

BTW - I hear BPA are trying to contact you. I thought Geoff might have mentioned it.

nice one

Barrie
After letting go of branches and walking through the ape gait, we managed to grasp what hands were really for......
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:29 pm

Barrie,

Haven't you heard? David now runs the BPA:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6063&hilit=bpa

BTW David,
Is Joe's band "The Crazy World of Arthur" ? (Saw them ON TOR once with Dickie Heart and the Pacemakers..)

Geoff
TDF
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:04 pm

little thing but:

unorthodox
and uncoordinated.

Thought that worked beautifully.

TDF
meh and bah are wonderful words
emuse
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:36 pm

David I feel like a dolt but I don't understand the connection to place. I'd like to join in but I feel detached not understanding the references to the subject. How did other's get what I didn't?

e
TDF
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:55 pm

emuse wrote: How did other's get what I didn't?

e
haha, don't feel too bad, I didn't really get that either. 8)
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:29 am

E / TDF,

Glastonbury is the site of an annual Rock festival PLUS the Abbey is associated with legends surrounding the
Holy Grail, Joseph of Arimathea and King Arthur
http://www.britainexpress.com/Myths/Glastonbury.htm

Geoff
TDF
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:32 pm

See I figured it was something like that... but I couldn't quite link that with heart palpitations. Is it just a play on words, or is there some relevence to that?

TDF
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:52 pm

TDF wrote:See I figured it was something like that... but I couldn't quite link that with heart palpitations. Is it just a play on words, or is there some relevence to that?

TDF
Yep - The heart condition arrhythmia obviously affects electric guitarists (sometimes rhythm, but mostly lead :) )

AC/DC
du bois

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:33 pm

I enjoyed the style here, offbeat. The ending though, as others have said, does seem somewhat abrupt.
David

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:55 pm

Yep, I think I've cheated a bit with the arrhythmia thing. It sounds as though it ought to mean, besides the medical condition, a lack of rhythm. Unfortunately, I don't think it does. Am I abashed? Not a tall.

Ah, the BPA - just when I think I've escaped their clutches ... they're like the moonies, you know.

Cheers

David
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:01 pm

David wrote:Yep, I think I've cheated a bit with the arrhythmia thing. It sounds as though it ought to mean, besides the medical condition, a lack of rhythm. Unfortunately, I don't think it does.
- That's what I first thought - I checked my (Chambers) dictionary, it can also mean simply having an irregular or interrupted rhythm, as well as the medical condition.

Barrie
After letting go of branches and walking through the ape gait, we managed to grasp what hands were really for......
David

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:13 pm

barrie wrote:
David wrote:Yep, I think I've cheated a bit with the arrhythmia thing. It sounds as though it ought to mean, besides the medical condition, a lack of rhythm. Unfortunately, I don't think it does.
- That's what I first thought - I checked my (Chambers) dictionary, it can also mean simply having an irregular or interrupted rhythm, as well as the medical condition.

Barrie
Hurrah! Thanks Barrie. You've saved my pome.
emuse
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:45 pm

Ah now that I have that frame of reference I like it quite well. In this case, Jumping Joe Joe was not a man who thought he was a woman (argh did I say that?) I think the final line could take us a little further. Apart from this it made me smile. What more can you ask from a poem?

e
David

Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 pm

emuse wrote:In this case, Jumping Joe Joe was not a man who thought he was a woman (argh did I say that?)

e
You certainly did. Can I have some of what you're drinking, or smoking, or taking intravenously? Well, maybe not the latter.

The chaps have mentioned the last line as well, e. Clearly some fixin' required.

Cheers

David
ElleW

Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:12 pm

Hi David,

This took me a couple of reads, but I grinned both times. Consider using a capital on arryhtmia in the title... it would make the play on place seem stronger. The ending ("that was it") seems very ambiguous to me and I'd love to see the Glastonbury connection developed a little. Does he come to die of heart failure there? To perform?

Interesting read, David.

Cheers,
L
beautifulloser
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:59 am

Big D

Also a bit detatched from this one, however I am aware of the Grail stuff, been to the Glasto Tor and things, however I still didn't get it.

So, I'm not totally ignorant of it, partially perhaps, I wonder if you can do more in the poem to transfer some information to give it a bit of context? If that makes any sense. Maybe Geoff's point is where it is, the ending . . .

I dunno mate, hope it's vaguely useful.

me
x
I'm sick of it, sick of it all. I know I'm right and I don't give a shit!
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:34 am

emuse wrote:Ah now that I have that frame of reference I like it quite well. In this case, Jumping Joe Joe was not a man who thought he was a woman (argh did I say that?) I think the final line could take us a little further. Apart from this it made me smile. What more can you ask from a poem?

e
Clearly the BPA (Bad Puns Anonymous) is not up to the task of monitoring PG, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to complain to OFPUN.

I note that some of the worst offenders are MODERATORS of this site! DIGRACEFUL!

If my complaint is not taken seriously then you can all expect to be named and shamed on WATCHDOGGEREL.

Standards here have been slipping ever since that excellent poet Kilravluis stopped posting.

General Motors (retired)