As We Sat

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
jms
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:55 am

As We Sat

As we sat
and watched
the flowers picked
from the meadow

The old church
in turn
watched us

"Is it time to go yet?"

"Not yet."

A young boy
happy to be picking flowers
for his sisters
on a sunny afternoon
during half term

His father
and his sisters
in turn
happy to watch

This was not
the kind of thing
I was planning to write
but it sort of came
all of its own accord
so I thought I'd post it here
for comment.
File under 'hums'.

Jon
David

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:32 am

An idyllic scene, apparently pure and simple, but is that the shadow of mortality I see silently stealing across the page?

"Is it time to go yet?"

"Not yet."

Still waters and all that, but is it just a clever way of making the reader work harder than the writer did?

I put aside such petty suspicions and accept it on its own terms. I like it.

Is it as uncomplicated as it seems, Jon? And have I complicated it unnecessarily?

Cheers

David
jms
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:50 am

David,

Many thanks for the kind comments. No, you're not over-complicating things, though I was deliberately trying not to over-labour the contrast. See also the verse previous to the dialogue you quoted...

Cheers,

Jon
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:55 am

I must admit to having similar thoughts as David, especially with -

The old church
in turn
watched us
- Maybe I'm just too suspicious about undercurrents in seemingly still waters (or is it quiet waters by?).

It all depends on what the reader sees, and not what the writer necessarily means that makes a poem what it is.

It has a childlike innocence about it, which is why I tend to look below the surface.

One line I don't think is needed - during half term. That it was a sunny afternoon is all we really need to know.

nice one

Barrie

Edit - Damn, I've just read your reply to David - You slipped that one in a bit sharpish.
After letting go of branches and walking through the ape gait, we managed to grasp what hands were really for......
jms
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:05 am

Barrie,

Thanks for comments - I was beginning to worry nobody would notice the significance of the church! Yes, I'd wondered about 'during half term' too, but my gut feeling is still that I need 'something' there, the rhythm doesn't feel quite right without it. Perhaps that something should be a different something (or nothing at all, even). I'll go away to ponder...

Cheers,

Jon
David

Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:08 am

jms wrote:Barrie,

Thanks for comments - I was beginning to worry nobody would notice the significance of the church!
No, that was artfully done. It must (or may) - subliminally - have been what conditioned my response to the snippet of dialogue. Where there's a church there's a churchyard ...
Oskar
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:40 am

Jon

I see the chaps have played some tennis with this one already so I'll keep the rally going if you don't mind. I just want to add my own thumbs up to what is an impressive piece of writing. You've cleverly made the point about time never really being on our side, by conjuring up one of those wonderfully lazy sunny scenes that we've all experienced, where you don't want the moment to end and, just for those few minutes, it's like time is stands still just for you. A very powerful and poignant feeling that I think you've captured really well.

Yes, the church stands sentinel over the proceedings, biding it's time watching the boy pick flowers. You might be able to reinforce that image of lives coming and going, by having the lad pick daisies which he then makes into a daisy chain -

As we sat
and watched
the daisies picked
from the meadow

A young boy
happily making daisy chains
for his sisters
on a sunny afternoon
during half term

Well, it works for me, but it's your rather beautiful baby.

It's good to have you posting, Jon. I like the cut of your jib already.

Cheers.
"This is going to be a damn masterpiece, when I finish dis..." - Poeterry
jms
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:58 am

Oskar,

Many thanks! Some worthwhile suggestions there for me to think about, together with all the above.

It's good to be posting here!

Cheers,

Jon
Lake
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:23 pm

Hi Jon,

It is so lovely, such a good feel. Like David said idyllic.
I take it what it presents to me, a picture, a painting; not looking for deep meanings.
Actually, it is the contrasts in the first 2 verses and the dialog that attracted me.

we watched the flowers, the church watched us

time to go yet, not yet

This just echoes another poem, something like:

on the bridge you are watching the view
from the tower someone is watching you
the bright moon decorates your window
and you decorate the other’s dream

Enjoyed it.

Lake
jms
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:00 am

Lake,

Many thanks for the comments, glad you enjoyed it!

Cheers,

Jon
zkhestanova

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:05 pm

i feel this piece would be strengthened greatly by making it more carlos-williams and clipping to halting images the lines, as they demand.
it begins that way but loses integrity later as the lines lengthen...
for example, given your opening two lines, the first stanza

As we sat
and watched
the flowers picked
from the meadow

should be, to my ear, more naturally:

As we sat
and watched
the flowers
picked from
the meadow

and so on.

i hope you don't mind my altering your first stanza.

zalina, x
"I move in strange tropics and deal in high explosives, embalming fluid, jasper, myrrh, smaragd, fluted snot, and porcupines' toes." Henry Miller (Third or Fourth Day of Spring)
zkhestanova

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:11 pm

ps. in case any one had wished to ask but had felt it impolite... yes, english isn't my native language.

zalina, x
"I move in strange tropics and deal in high explosives, embalming fluid, jasper, myrrh, smaragd, fluted snot, and porcupines' toes." Henry Miller (Third or Fourth Day of Spring)
jms
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:55 am

Zalina,

Thanks for the suggestions. I can see where you're coming from with the rhythm in the first stanza, however I think the longer line is better in context. I'll ponder the change, though, to see if it grows on me.

Thanks again,

Jon