Come and hear how this world is falling

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
zkhestanova

Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:04 pm

Come and hear how this world is falling
After all these days of silence.

Quiet.
Today is the day of mourning.
See how i fly deeper
Into the dark of this morning.

Flying for all white birds from now on
Is easier.
"I move in strange tropics and deal in high explosives, embalming fluid, jasper, myrrh, smaragd, fluted snot, and porcupines' toes." Henry Miller (Third or Fourth Day of Spring)
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:33 am

The connections between the verses are clever - "silence" / "quiet" - "fly" / "flying". The idea of the world falling with (I presume) snow, and burial, is expressed very well; "from now on" is an excellent penultimate line. I think this poem says quite a lot per word (which is what I like about poetry). Nice one.

n.b. you ought to comment on a couple of other poems before posting your own - good manners.
fine words butter no parsnips
Badfish

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:25 am

This is really nicely paced and paints a goergous picture -it reminds me of a book i recently read. the dark is rising by susan cooper

Well done
zkhestanova

Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Forgive my poor manners. I was a little too excited perhaps. I will post a number of comments.

Thank you all very much for reading it, however.

zalina, x
Last edited by zkhestanova on Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I move in strange tropics and deal in high explosives, embalming fluid, jasper, myrrh, smaragd, fluted snot, and porcupines' toes." Henry Miller (Third or Fourth Day of Spring)
David

Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:06 pm

I didn't realise it was snowing (if it is) until the last line, but I love that last line.

Flying for all white birds from now on
Is easier.

That's just beautiful.

If you would like, zalina, you can say something about yourself here:

viewforum.php?f=16

Cheers (and welcome)

David
TDF
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:02 pm

This is a strange one for me.

I really like it, but I'm not sure why... I'm not sure I totally 'get' it either. I enjoy each stanza and the way they link, but I do feel like i'm missing something... snow? oh... really?

To me, this seemed to be about war. The last line smacked of doves to me... am I the only one?
meh and bah are wonderful words
zkhestanova

Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:46 pm

thank you for your thoughts everybody. :D