the siren

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
didi dave
antispam: no

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:51 pm

(first draft)

immersed in thoughts
of your burning sapphire
flowing through me

buried alive
by thoughts of rejection
linking the past and of yet to be

your words so alluring
to hungry lust
my roaring waves of passion

the power of infidelity
pulling my smile
to your lips like an ocean

question: is there a name for the three lines/last lines rhyming technique ive used? i must admit im new to different techniques :oops:
never knowingly understood...
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:15 am

Some of the phrases are rather cliched, burning sapphire, hungry lust, roaring waves of passion. "linking the past and yet to be"? lose the "of"? I liked the last 3 lines though maybe mouth instead of smile.
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.
arunansu
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:48 am

Cliched it maybe, as ray has remarked, yet I enjoyed the tone. What I didn't get was any image. You just "told", didn't try to help us "see". The rhyming scheme is also unknown to me. Wait for further responses.
didi dave

Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:49 pm

your right with being just 'told' now you mention it, burning sapphire is the colour of this girls eyes who i like, you can probably guess that though :wink: first draft so hold out hope!
Sharra
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:48 am

Didi - I think the others are right about the cliche, but this does have a nice rhythm to it. You're obviously tuned in to the sound of words.
Can I ask whether you read much contemporary poetry? Reading, reading and reading more poetry will help you discover all the wonderful and unusual ways that words can be used :)
Sharra
xx
It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits
mesmie
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:01 am

Didi..

Cliche well maybe...but honest thought too.. :)

mes
didi dave

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:09 pm

Sharra wrote:Didi - I think the others are right about the cliche, but this does have a nice rhythm to it. You're obviously tuned in to the sound of words.
Can I ask whether you read much contemporary poetry? Reading, reading and reading more poetry will help you discover all the wonderful and unusual ways that words can be used :)
Sharra
xx
if im honest sharra, no i dont :) if you want the truth i write poetry now but alot of the time before i wrote songs. some of the lyrics to my mind are pretty good :) i find myself very encyclopaedic, trying to find a different more interesting word for something etc: in this poem instead of saying about her blue eyes, i called them her 'burning sapphire' which i think is a great poetic word to use :) but i dont read that much poetry, certainly contemporary, my favorite 2 poems are 'daffodils' by wordsworth and 'if' by kipling, not in the least contemporary :P