Poem removed (competition rules)

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
Raine
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:19 pm

Thanks to everyone who commented, I made a few edits as a result of your suggestions and have entered the finished piece into a competition. Unfortunately its removal from the internet is one of the entry rules.

I'll let you know if I have any luck with it ;-)

Cheers again,

Raine.
Last edited by Raine on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All aspects of language are tools of the poet; line-broken narrative serves an intent.
Take cliché, miss pelling and hyphen'd syllabics. Mould them with form and artistic intent. :-)
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi Raine. This works quite nicely as a nonsense poem with menacing undertones. The loony-bin ending is slightly disappointing to me though. I would prefer your thrimbling vigilante to still be out there, loose in the woods.

Good writing. The cadence matches the tone of voice very neatly. I'm imagining an extra from Deliverance or a sort of retarded Ned Kelly.
fine words butter no parsnips
David

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:57 pm

k-j wrote:Hi Raine. This works quite nicely as a nonsense poem with menacing undertones.
Yes, I'd agree with that. Something strange about those names, though. Is "ipso facto" relevant at all? I'm way off, aren't I?
k-j wrote:Good writing.
Yes, I'd agree with that too.

Cheers

David
Arian
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:03 pm

I confess it's a bit too stylised for my taste, so any comment from me isn't worth having.

For what it's worth, though, I think it's imaginative writing - even if (and, as I say, I'm not a lover of this kind of thing, I can take little from it, so ignore me) it strikes me as a fraction derivative.

Cheers
peter
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:58 am

I liked it without being bowled over.Maybe more consistent rhyming would have helped.
"and often comes to mop my brow" sounds convoluted and at odds with the remainder.
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.
Ros

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:04 am

I like this - I like the sonics and the cadence. I like the mix of made up and colloquial. I agree that the bit about

and often comes to mop my brow a lady with

doesn't quite fit the voice.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Two inches behind my eyes just above the bridge of my nose.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi Raine,

I enjoyed this, but I wonder if there is a bit of a clash between the sinister undertone and the playful made up words?

I'm not necessary suggesting moving away from made up words altogether, just perhaps toning them down a bit. Possibly bringing in some of the disdain the N must feel?

I think the end might be stronger that way also.

HTH

Ian
http://www.ianbadcoe.uk/