A Philosophical Language

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
Elphin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:03 pm

(after System of the World, a novel by Neal Stephenson)

Latin is the universal language of doctors and divines.
It sounds so learned, prima facie, that they can say and pray
any sort of nonsense and we are all stunned or at least confused
profoundly. Thus the Popes have got away with peddling bad
religion for so long – they simply chant in Latin. But if
we were to unfold their convoluted phrases
and
translate
them
into a Philosophical Language, all of their contradictions
and vagueness would become manifest. It would be impossible
to express any falsehoods without violating its rules.

So doctor, can you give it to me straight
et cetera
et cetera.

note - typos fixed,. Ta David
Raine
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:11 pm

From a pious point of view - Ouch !
From a scentific standpoint - Yep, I'm right with ya :-)
All aspects of language are tools of the poet; line-broken narrative serves an intent.
Take cliché, miss pelling and hyphen'd syllabics. Mould them with form and artistic intent. :-)
David

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:16 pm

prima facie?

And watch that Philosophical in the title.

I like it a lot, but how much of it comes straight from the novel? The trouble with name-checking the novel - which is only right and proper - is that I don't know how much is just a lift from the book and how much is really you. For instance, I really like the change in tone at the end, but is that you or is it him?

With that caveat, yep, like it a lot.

Cheers

David
Arian
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:37 pm

Not familiar with the Novel, so I’m coming to the piece uncontaminated.

I must confess, I started with my usual, slightly passé, prose-poetry reservations, but after a few readings I’ve come to like it quite a bit. The line breaks do seem to add value to the rhythm, somehow, and I like the broken middle section – like a sort of musical bridge – which emphasises “unfolding” . I liked the ending, too.

Couldn’t help wondering about “bad religion” – a bit tautological? What about just “peddling religion”

Cheers
peter
Basnik
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:02 pm

Hi,

How about 'we all are stunned' to keep the metre in l.3. After the 'bridge' I can't really follow any pattern but that may be intentional?

I thought this was a kind of statement poem, and whilst I agree with the statement it doesn't bring it alive for me - it's not a new idea. I don't think the obvious irony at the end redeems it enough. I would prefer an example of the language you criticise worked through rather than a statement of the general notion. I am probably missing something, I often do.

Rich
bez prace, nejsou kolaci - without work, there are no cakes (Czech proverb)
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:10 am

Well, I've read this numerous times and, like Rich, I suspect there is something I'm not getting.I see the play on et cetera, is there meant to be further paradox in the philosophical attitude expressed by "So doctor, can you give it me straight?"
I thought "they simply chant in Latin" was a bit underwhelming.
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Standing by a short pier, looking for a long run-up

Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi Elph,

Another poem that made me think and make connections - just my cup of tea.
The only issue i have is with the term "Philosophical Language" which made me think of logic, positions, truth tables etc and I
started to nod off. :)
"Plain English" would be better IMHO , especially when you consider how the Church were so against the Bible being
translated into English, and how the use of "Plain English" is meant to facilitate communication and limit the possibility of misunderstanding.

Of course I apologise if I'm missing something here.

Geoff
Elphin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks for reading all.

In truth after a break I am glad to have got something down on paper.

Raine - thanks
David - those typos. Ouch - face reddens. The largest part of the main text comes from the novel, but played with esp adding the latin phrases. The change in tone - that's me. In fact the purpose of the poem was partly to contrast the rant against priests with our more accepting, philosophical approach to doctors who can also use language to protect their status.
Arian - thanks. I hope the structure moves it from prose to poetry but one never can tell. Its largely individual perception, I think.
Rich - fair comments. I should look at the structure and metre and maybe more of the language needs to be there.
Ray - I agree simply chant in Latin is underwhelming, it has to go. You are right the philosophical attitude to doctors is the main point and in partic contrasting acceptable ranting against religion with our uncritical attitude to medicine.
Geoff - if it made you think, thats all I can ask. Philosophical Langauge was quite deliberate. Have a look at this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_language

Ironically, an early proponent was John Wilkins in the late 1600s. Wilkins became Bishop of Chester.

elph
David

Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:32 pm

Aha. You know, I thought the reference to "doctor" was to one of the learned doctors of the church - Thomas Aquinas and all that - but obviously not.