Hello

If you're new to the forum and want to introduce yourself, this is the place.
albatross

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Hello, I'm albatross, although in reality I'm a human man with an interest in poetry. I've been writing for a couple of years, and am looking to post a few of my own poems and comment on other people's work. From what I've read, there are some strong, knowledgeable writers posting here, so I hope to contribute to that and receive constructive feedback.

I've posted a few comments already, but I see I should have introduced myself first...

My Manners

The older I get, the more I forget
my manners. Forgive me. Maybe
I should keep them in a drawer?
Or in the money-pot where I also
keep my keys. That way, next time
I see you, I won't have to fake
an interest in pavement cracks
or shop windows on the other
side of the street. That way,
I might say 'hello'.
Ros
antispam: no

Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi albatross,

Welcome to PG. Thanks for the comments - we do have some excellent people here. Do you have a name, or shall we stick to calling you albatross?

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks, Ros.

And if it's alright, I'd rather stick to being called by the username for the forum. Thanks again.
David

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Hello to you. You're already making yourself known about the place, so welcome.

As for albatross, my guess is that you're a Scot called T. Ross. That's pure speculation, of course.

Cheers

David
albatross

Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Thanks for the welcome, David. But no, I'm not Scottish, I'm an Englander; the name was taken from that oft-translated poem of Baudelaire's... skliff, sclaff as Robin Robertson has it...
Ros

Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:48 pm

Not Coleridge then? I'm disappointed!

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:43 am

Welcome. Err, why do you always put people's names in bold?

B.
BenJohnson
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:15 pm

Welcome albatross.
albatross

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:10 pm

Ros - well, I can't escape the Coleridgean connotations; a bit like a something round my neck, a whatsitcalled? Nor Fleetwood Mac, nor Monty Python...

Brian - speaking of which, no-one expects The Typography Police!! I do it because it was standard practice on another forum I posted on, presumably because it helps avoid ambiguity if someone has a username which could be taken out of context; it also stands out amongst text, so is particularly useful when replying to several people in one message - they can skip straight to your reply to them and not have to read your whole reply.

And thanks for the welcome Ben - good to see you're still writing after all these years...
anaisnais

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:14 am

Hi there everyone, I see I should put some kind of introduction here so here goes:-
I write as anaisnais on the internet but am actually Anna-Marie Docherty, you can find me on the social networking sites from time to time. Friends call me Anna, Anna-Marie, anaisnais and even anais - I'll answer to either and feel free to take your pick as you feel comfortable... I've been asked before where anaisnais comes from it was merely a name I could remember when first starting out a couple of years ago - after a perfume I use anaisanais but dropping an a in the middle so as not to copy... Simples eh? Anyway I've been writing about a couple of years now on and off, as the muse takes and although am being read I need more input when it comes to critique of my work regards to grammer, construction, use of language etc if I am to progress in future works.

A small warning when it comes down to publishing as I have already been stung - with a certain American company which I shall not broadcast here but for anyone looking to publish if you require further detail then message me and I wil get back when I can... Basically research, research, research as now I am in limbo and not sure how to move forwards despite having interest by another Publisher wanting to see more of my work... Perhaps I'm now being too cautious I don't know. Any ideas welcome! Also having been scammed leaves you wondering if your work was actually good enough to start with so my confidence has been somewhat shot...

Well I have been an avid reader it seems forever and love to write when the muse takes me, I don't always change a poem after critique but sometimes leave it alone with all comments so both others and myself can use it for future learning... therefore please do not think any comment has been in vain - I do try to learn from what is said, although sometimes I find things harder to grasp. That said please be patient with me, I will try to return all comments although sometimes this might take me a little while as I am on heavy medication due to health issues that sometimes take over and of which I have little control. Winter or damp times seem worse - and UK weather especially Wales doesn't seem to be helpful. If I have missed something don't be afraid to leave me a polite nudge, these things happen occasionally and I'll be only too pleased to go sort whatever out...

If you wish to know more please ask, or do a search - like I say there is other detail out there should you wish to go delving and I don't want to bore you all silly by writing similarly here...

I look forward to getting to know some of you and your works in the near future and will offer what I can back in return. For the record I prefer to message someone of anything that jumps out usually rather than place it as a comment on their hard worked at piece of writing be it short story, poetry prose or otherwise... I guess as I start to read I shall see how this site works and slot in though accordingly. I don't see myself as an expert in the art and so don't expect by point of view re comments to be taken as such, but literally as one point of view that may or may not help the writer... That said I am going to go wade in your wordy waters now, keep your muse flowing and thoughts recorded. Happy writing and here's to a productive 2012!
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:26 am

Hey Anna,

Perhaps you'd like to cut and paste your introduction to a new thread. That way you'll probably attract more attention.

Welcome.

B.
anaisnais

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:36 am

Thankyou brianedwards, will see what I can do - just trying to find my feet... smiles...
anaisnais

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi and welcome albatross - my apologies for jumping on your thread in my attempts to find my way around - sorry... Hope you will quickly find your feet... Look forward to reading some of your work...
albatross

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi anaisnais - that's alright, no hard feelings and thanks for the message.

And I'll look out for your poem as well...