Time to spare

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
dl04
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:03 pm

Disco-dancing woman
with time to spare
is clawing through her lovers.

Hair complex to entice the yesmen,
who hand her charms and coins
to show just how appreciative they are
with drinks and exploring hands.

Midnight echoes through the halls,
she has left herself waiting in the toilets
while she spears her suitors in the bedroom.

Kirsty takes her shoes and socks.

Mocking glass makes an unhappy judge,
as she washes off the shame
attached to her fishnets.
' Everybody's saying that hell's the hippest way to go, well i dont think so but i'm gonna take a look around'

-Joni Mitchell
arunansu
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:33 pm

Im not quite sure I can provide a good critic to the piece. The images are striking, no doubt. An interesting term is "to entice the yesmen". The ending is great. I like the style of writing but I somehow feel you may come up with a better opening than "Disco-dancing woman".

Cheers.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:53 pm

- I thought this verse was the highlight of the poem. Excellent.

I agree with Aru about Disco dancing woman - It's too plain for this, too 70's John Travolta - You need something darker.

I'm not too keen on Hair complex in V2 - It sounds like a collection of salons.

Good poem, I enjoyed it.

Barrie
After letting go of branches and walking through the ape gait, we managed to grasp what hands were really for......
kozmikdave
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:32 am

Gidday

I enjoyed this by-and-large.

The first line has to go, as said by the other reviewers. It also places the piece in a disco, which it clearly isn't due to the bedroom reference. It is just unnecessary.

I enjoyed tis too. Good read
Cheers
Dave

"And I'm lost, and I'm lost
I'm lost at the bottom of the world
I'm handcuffed to the bishop and the barbershop liar
I'm lost at the bottom of the world
"
[Tom]
dogofdiogenes
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:04 am

Liked it but ditto with the disco-dancing line-is this what she thinks of herself or her creator's view of her? Could she see the difference anyway? just a question-I'd love to know.

Jacq :P
I never give explanations-Mary Poppins (Management in the NHS-rewritten by Nightingale F,. original by Hunt,.G)
Oskar
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:32 pm

d104

Time to spare presumably has something to do with being young and playing the field? It might also be a reference to the debauched extracurricular activities of a student? Now there's a novel thought. This could also explain your mention of halls (of residence) in S3?

I like the way you have used

Kirsty takes her shoes and socks

and put it above the last stanza -which IMO is particularly strong. The shoes and socks and naming of Kirsty is a very clear way of contrasting the man-eating vamp with the more familiar, everyday person that she is to her family back home.

All rather grubby and degrading but effectively done.
"This is going to be a damn masterpiece, when I finish dis..." - Poeterry
John G
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no
Location: London born and bred now resident of West Yorkshire

Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:35 pm

Liking the grubbiness of this, especially the ending:

“as she washes off the shame

(better then washing of the shame attached to the curtains eh?!)

However have to agree with he consensus about the first line, disco dancing woman just reminds me of the 70’s,
And glitter and seems out of place here

A good read though
After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say 'I want to see the manager.
Milu
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:25 am

dl04 wrote:Disco-dancing woman
with time to spare
is clawing through her lovers.

Hair complex to entice the yesmen,
who hand her charms and coins
to show just how appreciative they are
with drinks and exploring hands.

Kirsty takes her shoes and socks.

Mocking glass makes an unhappy judge,
as she washes off the shame

Nice work.I like the shift in the last stanza. It seems like through the entire poem you have images of her being this predator. "Clawing through", "enticing", "spearing." It's like she hides behind her label as "the disco queen" to let go of herself (I think the label of "disco dancing queen" could be more edgy, unless it's supposed to be a portrait of the disco era). The last stanza is really powerful, because she is no longer the predator; she is vulnerable. "Mocking glass" is cleaver, I'm glad you didn't go with the traditional mirror image. The only suggestion I have is to make the men appear to be like prey in the earlier stanzas a bit more, to establish the predator-prey relationship.
"As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naïve and simple hearted then we may suppose. And we ourselves are, too."
[center]~Dostoevsky[/center]
py0sra

Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:50 pm

I really like the "disco- dancing woman" line as it drew me in immediately and gives the poem a funky start. However i do agree with others that it is incongruous with the content of the poem. i imagine the woman to be wild, exciting, powerful, yet lonely and complicated. i love the line "she has left herself waiting in the toilets
while she spears her suitors in the bedroom". for me this is the way she has divided her mental and physical self, creating two parts of herself separated by whatever has led to her relationships with these men. i am unsure about the line "kirsty takes her shoes and socks". is this the same woman? how can she be wearing socks and fishnets at the same time? by naming her i think it takes away her mystery. i'm not sure what added meaning this line gives to the poem.
Also with the line "mocking glass makes an unhappy judge", are you saying the glass is both mocking and unhappy?, which seems contadictory or that the mocking glass makes her unhappy?
Anyway i really enjoyed this poem
Thanks
Sam
x
walrus

Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:20 pm

Your opening lines threw me right into this. I'm not bothered by "Disco dancing woman" I suppose it could be stronger but it works as is for me. Only thing that threw me off a bit is that this feels like a nightclub setting but the bedroom mention comes up suddenly. I'm not feeling a smooth transition although I get the gist. Overall, there is a lot to like about this raunchy endeavour and I enjoyed it all!!! :wink:

walrus
TDF
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:19 pm

Interesting one this. Interesting because most feedback so far has drawn attention to her powerful man-eating personality of the subject. But to me, I didn't see this in the same way. I certainly didnt see her in control. That is to say, I saw her as a pole-dancer/stripper/prostitute, who has to turn on the 'power woman' ego for her job, yet despises herself for cheapening/dirtying herself and selling her body for money. People may see a 'disco-dancing woman' who prowels for men, yet in reality she is letched upon and ultimately used as a piece of meat.

This, to me, was reinforced nicely with the image that once she is 'done' she wants to get out so quick she doesnt even put her shoes and socks on, rather just picks them up and is gone asap. That said, my only criticism would be: fishnets and socks? bit of a clash of images here. One or the other surely?

nice one.

Tom
meh and bah are wonderful words