Free Will

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:17 pm

Could all choice be just a blind,
sleight of mind
courtesy of Kaos,
designed to bind us
to a nonsense of purpose,
as this old train bangs and rattles
along its uncaring track
to everywhere and everywhen,
stopping at infinity
then steaming back again.
After letting go of branches and walking through the ape gait, we managed to grasp what hands were really for......
oranggunung
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:30 pm

How peculiar. I was expecting the last line to rhyme with track. Something like

then gently steaming back.

I'll have to go and have a lie down, then come back to this with a less syncopated head.

og
R. Broath
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:55 pm

One of the eternal questions, Barrie. Whether it's freewill or otherwise the 'nonsense of purpose' argument holds, methinks.
'There's something in a Sunday makes a body feel alone' according to K Kristofferson and I think this is definitely a Sunday musing.
Enigma inside puzzle inside riddle.

R
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:56 pm

oranggunung wrote:How peculiar. I was expecting the last line to rhyme with track. Something like

then gently steaming back.
- Does the last line work then?

Thanks Jimmy - Are you comparing me with the Soviet Union?

Barrie
After letting go of branches and walking through the ape gait, we managed to grasp what hands were really for......
oranggunung
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:44 pm

Barrie

there's a trick to this reading lark, isn't there?

I just came back to this and thought I had it, but on rereading it was gone again.

just west of the international punch line

og
Danté
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:25 pm

Barrie

I rather enjoyed the poderance of the first half of the poem, Kaos and nonsense very intersting.
I'd say that stopping at infinity is rather an infinite problem, but I guess one could have a continual journey which passes the way one went through a worm-hole or pass back by, in a parallel universe.

Tim Dawken
to anticipate touching what is unseen seems far more interesting than seeing what the hand can not touch
Merlin
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:09 am

Nice one Barrie….

Not sure about the last line though, like Orang, I was expecting a rhyme – which I feel would work better…

Shopping Hour
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:33 am

If you come from Birmingham it is natural to rhyme "again" with "everywhen", which I did straight away. It's the way you tell 'em as much as the way you write 'em.
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.
Sulpicia
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:01 pm

Hi Barrie
Pretty subtle stuff. I guess it's rattles and infinity that stand out: pretty much everything else is tied in by some sort of rhyme/half-rhyme. Which is nice: since form v. chaos is one theme, and perhaps being made to go and have a lie down is a rather appropriate response, since it feels structured but isn't or vice versa. Life feels structured but isn't? Or we feel like we have a say but we don't? As a counsellor once said to me 'You do have agency, you know.' Do I? And if I did what would I do with it?
Much enjoyed.
Helen
Elphin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:05 pm

Neat work - its such a pity I keep reading that title as Free Willie!

again/everywhen works for me - even with my funny accent.

elph
thoke
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:18 pm

The answer to the poem is 'yes'.

Ben
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:00 am

what is free will? Much better posed as a question than as an affirmation - I have nothing to add there, great stuff. I get the feeling this poem could be longer if you wanted it to be, but it's good as is. On the other hand, I guess the old adage "don't be fixin what ain't broken" might be the best course of action.

Indecisively,

sood.
"Don't treat your common sense like an umbrella. When you come into a room to philosophize, don't leave it outside, but bring it in with you." Wittgenstein
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:57 pm

Thanks all - I was wondering why there was a question about the rhyme in the last line until Ray pointed it out. I pronounce again with the ain as en - aggen, which rhymes with when. Similarly, I wouldn't see a rhyme in again/rain. I should have realized what the problem was - this happened just a few weeks ago - See Elphin's post

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7716

Trouble is, there's no 'correct' way to pronounce English; it all depends where you're from.
Elphin wrote:its such a pity I keep reading that title as Free Willie!
- Free Wullie, surely.
thoke wrote:The answer to the poem is 'yes'.
- I'm not really bothered about an answer, I'm quite happy looking out of the windows and enjoying the ride.
pseud wrote:what is free will?
- You've got me there, I'll smile instead.

cheers all.

Barrie
pitseleh
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:19 pm

hey barrie

interesting musing. perfect for today; being as dismal as it is. by the way i dont get "kaos".. tried googling it, what am i missing?

harrison
Aren't people absurd! They never use the freedoms they do have but demand those they don't have; they have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:32 am

Thanks harrison

Kaos is Chaos - just me getting into bad habits through reading too many Victorian books on mythology.

Barrie